from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part or region remote from a central district, as of a city or town. Often used in the plural: on the outskirts of Paris.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a more remote part of a town or city; the periphery, environs; a suburb
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A part remote from the center, and near the outer edge; border; -- usually in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A section or part that skirts, runs, or lies along the edge or boundary of a specified area; a border or border region; a purlieu: used chiefly in the plural: as, the outskirts of a forest or of a town; the outskirts of science.
- To form an outskirt; skirt or run along the border of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a part of the city far removed from the center
Sorry, no etymologies found.