from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A political unit, such as a city, town, or village, incorporated for local self-government.
- n. A body of officials appointed to manage the affairs of a local political unit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A district with a government that typically encloses no other governed districts; a borough, city, or incorporated town or village.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A municipal district; a borough, city, or incorporated town or village.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A town or city possessed of corporate privileges of local self-government; a community under municipal jurisdiction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people living in a town or city having local self-government
- n. an urban district having corporate status and powers of self-government
From French municipalité (Edmund Burke). (Wiktionary)