from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A political unit, such as a city, town, or village, incorporated for local self-government.
- n. A body of officials appointed to manage the affairs of a local political unit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A district with a government that typically encloses no other governed districts; a borough, city, or incorporated town or village.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A municipal district; a borough, city, or incorporated town or village.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A town or city possessed of corporate privileges of local self-government; a community under municipal jurisdiction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people living in a town or city having local self-government
- n. an urban district having corporate status and powers of self-government
When these have accumulated to a sufficient size to be troublesome, the municipality is apt to go to the legislature to permit funding of those current liabilities, which, if it does not add insult to injury, at least adds interest to principal and passes on a delayed but increased burden for other Councils to worry over and the taxpayers to wrestle with, which brings me to a second fundamental cause viz:
It has long been recognized that the care of unemployed people or of people in distress was primarily the responsibility of the community in which they live, that is, the municipality in whose jurisdiction they reside; and if a municipality is unable to provide relief the assistance of the province is sought; but never has it been recognized by any federal government that a constitutional obligation rested upon them to deal with this subject.
The individual gives up something in order to gain that which everybody gains by unity, and the municipality is the result.
Take the McDonald case, for instance — how seriously should we take claims that local regulations should be paramount when the local municipality is twice the size of the entire United States when the second amendment was ratified?
They actually told me you could do it in Comitan since the municipality is in the free zone with parts of it within 50 km from the border.
The Chapala municipality is not a cohesive community.
Just remember that if any part of a municipality is with in the 50 km zone the whole municipality is considered with in the 50km zone.
A North West government imbizo was called off on Thursday after being disrupted by youths angered at what they called a municipality's failure to redress grievances they raised in a recent memorandum.
This has angered residents who feel that the municipality is shortchanging them by levying for non-existent services.
As the first car went over it, I called the municipality and asked them to please come and remove the poor thing.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.