from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The largest administrative division of most states in the United States.
- n. A territorial division exercising administrative, judicial, and political functions in Great Britain and Ireland.
- n. The territory under the jurisdiction of a count or earl.
- n. The people living in a county.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The land ruled by a count or a countess.
- n. An administrative region of various countries, including Bhutan, Canada, China, Croatia, France, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Serbia and Montenegro and Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- n. A definitive geographic region, without direct administrative functions, as in traditional county.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An earldom; the domain of a count or earl.
- n. A circuit or particular portion of a state or kingdom, separated from the rest of the territory, for certain purposes in the administration of justice and public affairs; -- called also a shire. See Shire.
- n. A count; an earl or lord.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Originally, the domain or territory of a count or earl.
- n. Now, a definite division of a country or state for political or administrative purposes.
- n. Collectively, the inhabitants of a county.
- Of or pertaining to a county: as, county families; county society.
- n. A count; an earl or lord.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (United States) the largest administrative district within a state
- n. (United Kingdom) a region created by territorial division for the purpose of local government
MIKE ANTONOVICH, LOS ANGELES COUNTY SUPERVISOR: They want to cash in on this hot real estate market and they want to ship out all of the so-called homeless into other parts of the county.
MOOSE: I would encourage us to remember a few hours ago how County Executive Doug Duncan talked about the mood of the people at the Taste of Bethesda, people at soccer games, people at Little League football, people moving about the county.
In 1898 he started a County Fair to spur the ambition of the Negro farmers of the county.
King County now provides animal services for 34 of 39 cities in the county.
If approved by a majority vote, the resolution would request County Executive Pete Kremen draft a letter notifying the city of the county's intent to withdraw from the contract by Jan. From there, the city, county, governments of other cities in the county and EMS providers would have three years to set up a new system - one that Crawford said he hopes gives the county government more control of its oversight.
PLAN-Boulder County, a long-time liberal voice in Boulder city and county politics.
County Administrator Will Johnson suggested they only do what they call the triangle, which excludes a portion of the north part of the county.
Add (New SqlParameter ( "@county", county)) command.
Documents sent via UPS • Comfort of constant tracking • County Follow Up • Constantly monitoring until receipt of recorded document from county
Garfield County Commissioner Trési Houpt, however, was not present at the meeting in August when the agreement was reached between Williams and the county.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.