from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. In early English law, the right of local jurisdiction, generally one of the feudal rights of lordship.
- n. The district over which soke jurisdiction was exercised.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several medieval rights, either to hold a court, or to receive fines.
- n. A district under a particular jusridiction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See soc.
- n. One of the small territorial divisions into which Lincolnshire, England, is divided.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An old spelling of soak, suck.
- n. The power or privilege of holding a court in a district, as in a manor; jurisdiction of causes; also, the limits of such jurisdiction.
- n. The liberty or privilege of tenants excused from customary burdens.
- n. Same as soken
- n. Same as soken, 2.
Khummes_, and near it is held, every Thursday, a market called soke
The term was also applied to a district or "soke," possessed of independent franchises, as in the case of the Portsoken
A "soke," or soca, it may be incidentally observed, was the territory in which was exercised the soca, or the privilege of hearing causes and disputes, levying fines, and administering justice within certain limits.
I get really up-set that the media does not confront her or her soke person's about this controdiction!
Awm mai profiel is a pic ov a hoel in ower bakk yard wear a soke well cayvd in yestidai.
U cahn haz teh lavinder soke er lemmuny zingy soke er mai Nana uzed tew swair by this wun teh Epsom salts soke wich nawt smell pritty butt iz bery sooooothin
Butt butt butt I heerede sumwarez dat kittehs bee pourus and iffin dey gits rinsed dey weel soke ups da wadder an an an an den dey weel ESPLODEZ!
Himz neez wud gett soooo grubby—ai hadd to soke him inn teh baff foar a laaaawng tiem!
I am very precize wiff boff muh soke an wrt words and I werked as a galley slave off an on fer years.
Tehy cannut soke up worter an will FLUD if yu leeb teh taps runnin, an kitteh FLOOF in teh pluole!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.