from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office or rank of a bishop.
- n. The diocese of a bishop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A diocese or region of a church which a bishop governs.
- n. The office or function of being a bishop
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A diocese; the district over which the jurisdiction of a bishop extends.
- n. The office of a spiritual overseer, as of an apostle, bishop, or presbyter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office or dignity of a bishop.
- n. The district over which the jurisdiction of a bishop extends; a diocese.
- n. The charge of instructing and governing in spiritual concerns; overseership.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the territorial jurisdiction of a bishop
Middle English bishoprik, from Old English bisceoprīce, the diocese of a bishop : bisceop, bishop; see bishop + rīce, realm; see reg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English bisceoprīċe, equivalent to bishop + -ric (compare German Reich). (Wiktionary)