from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The position or office of a head or leader; primacy or command.
- n. Chiefly British The position of a headmaster or headmistress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The position of a head or chief
- n. The position of a headmaster or headmistress
- n. authority or dignity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Authority or dignity; chief place.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or position of being a head or chief; head or chief place; hence, authority; rule; government.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the position of headmaster or headmistress
- n. the position of head
Sorry, no etymologies found.