from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The rank or position of a chancellor.
- n. The office or department of a chancellor.
- n. The building in which such an office or department is located.
- n. The official place of business of an embassy or consulate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rank or office of a chancellor.
- n. The building in which such an office is situated.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Chancellorship.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. pl. chancelleries (-riz).
- n. Same as chancery, 3.
- n. A secretary's office. See chancellor, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a government building housing the office of a chancellor
Middle English chancelrie, from Old French chancelerie, from chancelier, chancellor; see chancellor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)