American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The district administered or governed by a prefect.
- n. The office or authority of a prefect.
- n. The residence or housing of a prefect.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office or jurisdiction of a prefect, chief magistrate, commander, or viceroy.
- n. The district under the government of a prefect.
- n. The official residence of a prefect.
- n. A term often used by foreigners in and writers on China as equivalent to fu, an administrative division consisting of several districts called hien or chow. See fu.
- n. An office, position, or jurisdiction of a prefect; the official residence of that prefect.
- n. A district governed by a prefect (especially in France and Japan)
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The office, position, or jurisdiction of a prefect; also, his official residence.
- n. the office of prefect
- n. the district administered by a prefect (as in France or Japan or the Roman Empire)
- Latin praefectūra. (Wiktionary)
“Many family names were connected to some certain prefecture (jun) respectively during the early medieval ages.”
“But the incoming mayor, formerly governor of Osaka prefecture, has tools to ratchet up the pressure: Osaka, Japan's third-biggest city, is both the largest city in Kansai Electric's service area and the utility's biggest shareholder, with a stake of about 9% as of March 31.”
“Aichi prefecture, which is home to the bulk of Toyota's domestic plants is planning to start hiring staffers to do odd jobs -- like inspecting roads -- to offset employment cuts.”
“The prefecture is a nice, old-fashioned house, in the centre of the town, with a big garden.”
“Luapula to the source of the Lualaba, the eastern and southern boundary of the prefecture is the Congo-Rhodesian frontier.”
“To get this stamp, the traveller must carry or send his passport to the great central police office of Paris, called the prefecture of police.”
“Reflecting on the damage to his prefecture, which is also at the centre of the nuclear power crisis, Sato said: My chest has been ripped open by the suffering and pain that this disaster has caused the people of our prefecture.”
“The plain is Japan's largest wild crane wintering site, and the prefecture is the nation's top poultry-raising area.”
“Mr Hashimoto, 42, had been the governor of the greater Osaka prefecture since 2008.”
“The maker of Aquos televisions will halve output at its factory in Sakai, Osaka prefecture for more than a month as weakening global demand has caused inventories to rise, the Nikkei newspaper reported today, without saying where it obtained the information.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prefecture’.
Words as I learn them.
words that embody life
Looking for tweets for prefecture.