from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office or tenure of a dictator.
- n. A state or government under dictatorial rule.
- n. Absolute or despotic control or power.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of government where absolute sovereignty is allotted to an individual or a small clique.
- n. A government which exercises autocratic rule.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office, or the term of office, of a dictator; hence, absolute power.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office or dignity of a dictator; the term of a dictator's office.
- n. Absolute authority; dogmatism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)
dictator + -ship (Wiktionary)