American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A government ruled by or subject to religious authority.
- n. A state so governed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A form of government in which God is recognized as the supreme civil ruler of the state, and his laws are taken as the statute-book of the kingdom.
- n. A state so governed: usually applied, with the definite article, to the Jewish commonwealth from the time of its organization under Moses until the inauguration of the monarchy under Saul.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Government of a state by the immediate direction or administration of God; hence, the exercise of political authority by priests as representing the Deity.
- n. The state thus governed, as the Hebrew commonwealth before it became a kingdom.
- n. a political unit governed by a deity (or by officials thought to be divinely guided)
- n. the belief in government by divine guidance
“I disagree on a core level that a theocracy is the ideal government.”
“The fact that a good portion of the Republican base wants to turn the United States into a theocracy is another (and even from a purely pragmatic view of history, which theocracies exactly do we want to emulate?)”
“As a Christian, the idea of an American theocracy is terrifying.”
“He's too much of a wimp to even speak out when the Iranian theocracy is murdering it's citizens in the street.”
“A false-hope-turned-policy has lingered for years among US officials that the more the Iranian theocracy is placated the more it will be tamed.”
“Before the uprising, the country was classified as a "theocracy," with rising influence of the presidential role -- in our case, charming Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.”
“The Iranian theocracy is a regime ‘against nature’; one that defies the basic aspirations of human beings for freedom and emancipation.”
“The marriage of the Republican party to theocracy is no accident.”
“Laissez-faire theocracy is a more awkward match than this, even if the necessary compromises leave all Democrats somewhat unsatisfied.”
“I'm sure the organizers of the protest have done loads of "judicious study" before concluding that the theocracy is right around the corner.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘theocracy’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
Just a list of words
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
denoting a form of government or rule
A handful of -ocracies.
Words describing a future that may or may not be entirely grounded in reality. Not to be used for predictive purposes. I do not have the gift of premonition. In fact, all these ideas come from popu...
relating to God or to deities
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Looking for tweets for theocracy.