American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Government by the masses; mob rule.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The rule or ascendancy of the multitude or common people; mobocracy; mob-rule.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A form of government by the multitude; a mobocracy;
- n. a political system in which a mob is the source of control; government by the masses
- Originated 1475-1485, from Middle French ochlocratie, from Ancient Greek ὀχλοκρατία (okhlokratia), from ὄχλος (okhlos, "multitude, crowd") + κράτος (kratos, "power"). (Wiktionary)
- French ochlocratie, from Greek okhlokratiā : okhlos, mob; see wegh- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“a democracy that departed from the civil and political equality which was its supposed basis, and gave ascendancy to a faction, was sometimes designated by the term ochlocracy, or the dominion of the rabble.”
“The latter is rightly called "ochlocracy" -- mob rule.”
“If we lived in a mobocracy (also known as ochlocracy) we would vote and the majority would rule on every little issue.”
“ochlocracy," or government by the mob, in which the numbers have no real share: an oligarchy of the fiercest, the noisiest, the rashest, and the most shameless, which is surely swallowed up either by a despotism, as in”
“This is called grandstanding for the sake of ochlocracy.”
“There can be ochlocracy in bicameral systems & democracy in unicameral ones. urgs Says:”
“Democratic process in pre-enlightenment society inevitably produces the worst kind of tyranny: tyranny of the fanatical mob what Plato named “ochlocracy”.”
“According to Polybius, the kyklos, or political cycle, rotates through three forms of government — democracy, aristocracy, and monarchy — and the degenerate forms of each of those three — ochlocracy, oligarchy, and tyranny:”
“Sadly, the country is terrorized and under control of ochlocracy.”
“Sadly, the country is terrorized and under control of ochlocracy. ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ochlocracy’.
Words for the diehard intermediate and advanced spellers
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A handful of -ocracies.
A selection of words from the epic by Victor Hugo
A somewhat discriminatory list of words and phrases collected for their euphonic or arcane appeal, interesting etymology, or concise definition of an otherwise unnamed phenomenon or concept.
For stuff to simply reside.
Words which I have some trouble comprehending or finding a synonym.
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Looking for tweets for ochlocracy.