from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Government by the masses; mob rule.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Mob rule; government by the masses; mobocracy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A form of government by the multitude; a mobocracy; mob rule.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The rule or ascendancy of the multitude or common people; mobocracy; mob-rule.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a political system in which a mob is the source of control; government by the masses
French ochlocratie, from Greek okhlokratiā : okhlos, mob; see wegh- in Indo-European roots + -kratiā, -cracy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Originated 1475-1485, from Middle French ochlocratie, from Ancient Greek ὀχλοκρατία (okhlokratia), from ὄχλος (okhlos, "multitude, crowd") + κράτος (kratos, "power"). (Wiktionary)