from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Political independence; autonomy.
- n. Popular or representative government; democracy.
- n. Self-control.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The governance of a region by its own populace; autonomy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of governing one's self, or the state of being governed by one's self; self-control; self-command.
- n. Hence, government of a community, state, or nation by the joint action of the mass of people constituting such a civil body; also, the state of being so governed; democratic government; democracy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The government of one's self; self-control.
- n. The government of a nation, province, district, or town by itself, either in all points or in certain particulars (as local affairs).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. government of a political unit by its own people
Sorry, no etymologies found.