from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
- n. The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
- n. Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Patriotism; the idea of supporting one's country and culture.
- n. Support for the creation of a sovereign nation (which does not currently exist).
- n. Jingoism; the support of one nation's interests to the exclusion of others; the hatred of other nations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being national; national attachment; nationality.
- n. An idiom, trait, or character peculiar to any nation.
- n. National independence; the principles of the Nationalists.
- n. A devotion to one's country; patriotism
- n. The policy of advocating the independence of one's country.
- n. The policy of advocating the interests of one's own country exclusively, regardless of effects of a country's actions on other countries.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. National spirit or aspirations; devotion to the nation; desire for national unity, independence, or prosperity.
- n. Specifically, in Ireland, the political program of the party that agitates for more or less complete separation from Great Britain.
- n. An idiom or a phrase peculiar to a mation; a national trait or peculiarity.
- n. The conduct of all business by the public for the benefit of the public; the substitution of public for private control of all business.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the doctrine that nations should act independently (rather than collectively) to attain their goals
- n. the doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other
- n. the aspiration for national independence felt by people under foreign domination
- n. love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it
national + -ism (Wiktionary)