from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or a means of deterring.
- n. Measures taken by a state or an alliance of states to prevent hostile action by another state.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of deterring, or the state of being deterred
- n. Action taken by states or alliances of nations against equally powerful alliances to prevent hostile action
- n. The art of producing in one's enemy the fear to attack
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which deters; a deterrent; a hindrance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of deterring, or that which deters; a hindrance; a deterrent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a communication that makes you afraid to try something
- n. the act or process of discouraging actions or preventing occurrences by instilling fear or doubt or anxiety
- n. a negative motivational influence
Sorry, no etymologies found.