from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending to deter: deterrent weapons.
- n. Something that deters: a deterrent to theft.
- n. A retaliatory means of discouraging enemy attack: a nuclear deterrent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Serving to deter, preventing something from happening
- n. Something that deters.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Serving to deter.
- n. That which deters or prevents.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the power or tendency to deter; hindering through fear; preventive.
- n. That which deters or tends to deter.
- n. A substance used in the manufacture of smokeless powder to moderate the violence of the explosion and to diminish sensitiveness to shock. Vaseline, camphor, etc., are so employed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
- adj. tending to deter
Sorry, no etymologies found.