from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Conveying an admonition or a warning: a monitory glance.
- n. A letter of admonition, such as one from a bishop or an ecclesiastical court.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. giving admonition and warning
- n. a written letter giving admonition
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Giving admonition; instructing by way of caution; warning.
- n. Admonition; warning; especially, a monition proceeding from an ecclesiastical court, but not addressed to any one person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Giving monition or admonition; admonitory; spoken by way of warning; instructing by way of caution.
- n. Admonition; warning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. serving to warn
Middle English monitorie, letter of admonition, admonitory, from Medieval Latin monitōria, admonition, from feminine of Latin monitōrius, monitory, from monitor, monitor; see monitor.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)