from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by exhortation or strong urging: a hortatory speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Giving exhortation or advice; encouraging; exhortatory; inciting.
- n. Exhortation or advice; incitement; encouragement.
- n. That which exhorts, incites, or encourages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Giving exhortation or advise; encouraging; exhortatory; inciting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Encouraging; inciting; urging to some course of conduct or action: as, a hortatory address; a hortatory style.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. giving strong encouragement
Late Latin hortātōrius, from Latin hortātus, exhorted; see hortative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin hortor ("encourage"). (Wiktionary)