American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having the teeth attached by their sides to the inner side of the jaw, as in some lizards.
- n. A lizard with pleurodont teeth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Ankylosed to the side of the socket, as teeth; laterally fixed in the jaw: distinguished from acrodont.
- Having or characterized by pleurodont teeth or dentition, as a lizard; belonging to the Pleurodontes; not acrodont: as, a pleurodont reptile.
- n. A pleurodont lizard; a member of the Pleurodontes.
- adj. zoology Having the teeth fused (ankylosed) by their sides to the inner surface of the jawbones.
- n. zoology Any lizard with teeth of this kind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Anat.) Having the teeth consolidated with the inner edge of the jaw, as in some lizards.
- n. (Zoöl.) Any lizard having pleurodont teeth.
- n. an animal having teeth fused with the inner surface of the alveolar ridge without sockets
“Thus, it is quite conceivable that a pleurodont lizard might have arisen in”
“Now pleurodont iguanian lizards abound in the South American region; but nowhere else, and are not as yet known to inhabit any part of the present continent of Africa.”
“Yet pleurodont lizards, strange to say, are found in Madagascar.”
“But in the galled international association of fire fighters, i toastmaster hypnotized parisian solitarily of regularly seven pleurodont suture as i auxetic to do.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pleurodont’.
A list of words that begin with or contain the string pleur.
Some of the medical terms and conditions listed here aren't all that pretty.
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
Looking for tweets for pleurodont.