from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that opposes, stands in the way of, or holds up progress.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that impedes, stands in the way of, or holds up progress
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which stands in the way, or opposes; anything that hinders progress; a hindrance; an obstruction, physical or moral.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which opposes or stands in the way; something that obstructs progress; a hindrance or obstruction.
- n. Objection; opposition.
- n. Synonyms Difficulty, Obstacle, Obstruction, Impediment, check, barrier. A difficulty embarrasses, an obstacle stops us. We remove [or overcome] the one, we surmount the other. Generally the first expresses something arising from the nature and circumstances of the affair; the second something arising from a foreign cause. An obstruction blocks the passage, and is generally put in the way intentionally. An impediment literally clogs the feet and so may continue with one, hindering his progress, while a difficulty once overcome, an obstacle once surmounted, or an obstruction once broken down, leaves one free to go forward without hindrance.
- Obstinate; stubborn.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something immaterial that stands in the way and must be circumvented or surmounted
- n. an obstruction that stands in the way (and must be removed or surmounted or circumvented)
a tear in my eye for the lonely man who knew well that the only obstacle to his success was the _one_ that people never _could_ see, and that the _obstacle himself_ was never _likely_ to see.
Disorient the main obstacle is the kind of dealing with extremists
Sure they can, although I think the main obstacle is poverty and not over-regulation.
I simply think that you may be assuming that the main obstacle is wanting to do so.
The main obstacle is the willpower and commitment to do all this.
"The main obstacle is sorting out the complexities of the various offers," said DuPuy, who heads the relocation process.
Likewise, Kel faces misogyny, as the first girl to try for knighthood without disguising herself as a boy, and in the first book her obstacle is the misogyny of her authority figures.
Another obstacle is a new Russian process for accrediting adoption agencies that has left most American agencies waiting for approval to be able to send orphans to the USA, says Thomas Atwood, president of the National Council for Adoption.
In any event, this 'obstacle' is the only one she has no control in altering.
Her character’s main obstacle is learning to deal with real life after using cheesy fairy tales insulated herself for so long.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.