American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Severe constipation caused by intestinal obstruction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stopping up, as a passage.
- n. In medicine, costiveness; constipation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete The act of stopping up, as a passage.
- n. (Med.), obsolete Extreme constipation.
- n. severe constipation resulting from an obstruction in the intestines
- obstipate + -ion (Wiktionary)
- New Latin obstīpātiō, obstīpātiōn- : Latin ob-, in the way; see ob- + Latin stīpātus, past participle of stīpāre, to compress. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Have you been informed that eventually the constipation will lead to obstipation with impactions and eventually there will be kidney failure with fluid volume overload?”
“Constipation, obstipation and diarrhea may alternate through the progress of the case.”
“The words constipation, obstipation and costiveness are often employed as if of exactly similar meaning, but it is well to let each stand for”
“These folds within the canal may become too much narrowed by disease and thus prevent the movement of the matters inside; this is obstipation.”
“We have found out the almost universal cause for constipation, obstipation and costiveness; therefore until you can have the proper local treatment we suggest the following foodstuffs, trusting to the sufferer's judgment how much and how often to take the nourishment.”
“We would expect people suffering from constipation or obstipation to pass as fairly well people for a time, but the same is not true of patients having the other condition, costiveness.”
“Triphala constipation obstipation intestinal damage”
“The untrained cannot distinguish between obstipation and constipation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘obstipation’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Words related to blockage.
Looking for tweets for obstipation.