from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of disappointing.
- n. The condition or feeling of being disappointed.
- n. One that disappoints.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The emotion felt when a strongly held expectation is not met.
- n. A circumstance in which a strongly held expectation is not met.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of disappointing, or the state of being disappointed; defeat or failure of expectation or hope; miscarriage of design or plan; frustration.
- n. That which disappoints.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Defeat or failure of expectation, hope, wish, desire, or intention; miscarriage of design or plan: as, he has had many disappointments in life.
- n. The state of being disappointed or defeated in the realization of one's expectation or intention in regard to some matter, or the resulting feeling of depression, mortification, or vexation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an act (or failure to act) that disappoints someone
- n. a feeling of dissatisfaction that results when your expectations are not realized
Sorry, no etymologies found.