from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The premature expulsion of a nonviable fetus from the uterus. Also called spontaneous abortion.
- n. Bad administration; mismanagement.
- n. A failure of administration or management: a miscarriage of justice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Unfortunate event or issue of an undertaking; failure to attain a proper or desired result or reach a destination.
- n. Ill conduct; evil or improper behavior.
- n. The act of bringing forth a child before the time it is viable; a premature birth, resulting in death of the fetus; spontaneous abortion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A going wrong; failure of a purposed result; untoward event; mischance: as. the criminal escaped by miscarriage of justice.
- n. A wrong or perverse course, as of conduct; improper action or behavior; misdemeanor.
- n. In pathology, the act of miscarrying (see miscarry, v. i., 3); properly, untimely delivery before the twenty-eighth week of gestation. See abortion, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a natural loss of the products of conception
- n. failure of a plan
From mis- + carriage. (Wiktionary)