from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To fail to ignite when expected. Used of an internal-combustion engine.
- intransitive v. To fail to discharge. Used of a firearm.
- intransitive v. To fail to achieve an anticipated result: a scheme that misfired.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of misfiring.
- v. To fail to discharge properly
- v. To fail to ignite in the proper sequence
- v. To fail to achieve the anticipated result
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To miss fire: said of a firearm.
- n. A failure in firing, as of a gun or cannon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fail to fire or detonate
- n. an explosion that fails to occur
- n. a failure to hit (or meet or find etc)
Had our intelligence people arrested this Pig prior to entering the aircraft, that would constitute a thwarted attempt, a misfire is a failed attempt that surpassed all safety and screening barriers.
The only real misfire is the title track, in which Swift interrupts a wedding with a protestation of love for the groom ( "I am not the kind of girl who should be rudely barging in on a white veil occasion," she informs the gathering, somewhat awkwardly).
Whatever misfire is floating around in my brain, we do overcome it.
I’d add a potential misfire is that as others have noted, this bill should have been passed much much earlier.
(Another misfire is when Darth learns of a tragedy and holds his arms out and yells “Noooooooo!!!” — and it sounds and looks so much like a parody, that it’s hard not to burst out laughing.)
After this dull, airless misfire, which is a failure on almost every level, it's no wonder that Craven again journeyed back into the Weinstein pit see or don't: Cursed for Scream 4.
Working on or near a misfire is the most hazardous of all blasting operations.
After this dull, airless misfire, which is a failure on almost every level, it's no wonder that Craven again journeyed back into the Weinstein pit see or don't:
Degrading plug wires either cause a misfire, which is blindingly obvious and kills mileage horribly, or doesn't.
Our leaders 'responses to the carnage are shocking: after each "misfire" of our artillery, hitting a school or hospital, some high-ranking general or politician apologizes for the "mistake."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.