from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To fail to ignite when expected. Used of an internal-combustion engine.
- intransitive v. To fail to discharge. Used of a firearm.
- intransitive v. To fail to achieve an anticipated result: a scheme that misfired.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of misfiring.
- v. To fail to discharge properly
- v. To fail to ignite in the proper sequence
- v. To fail to achieve the anticipated result
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A failure in firing, as of a gun or cannon.
- To miss fire: said of a firearm.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. fail to fire or detonate
- n. an explosion that fails to occur
- n. a failure to hit (or meet or find etc)
mis- + fire (Wiktionary)