from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that cries, especially:
- n. An official who announces the orders of a court of law.
- n. A town crier.
- n. A hawker.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who cries.
- n. An officer who proclaims the orders or directions of a court, or who gives public notice by loud proclamation, such as a town crier.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who cries; one who makes proclamation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who cries; one who makes an outcry or utters a public proclamation.
- n. Specifically— An officer whose duty is to proclaim the orders or commands of a court, announce the opening or adjournment of the court, preserve order, etc.
- n. One who makes public proclamation of sales, strays, lost goods, etc.; a town crier; an auctioneer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (formerly) an official who made public announcements
- n. a person who weeps
- n. a peddler who shouts to advertise the goods he sells
cry + -er. Compare French crieur. (Wiktionary)