from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Mediterranean shrub or small tree (Erica arborea) whose hard, woody roots are used to make tobacco pipes.
- n. A pipe made from the root of this plant or from a similar wood.
- n. Variant of brier1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any thorny plant, now especially a wild rose.
- n. The white heath, Erica arborea.
- n. A pipe made from the root of this plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as brier.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- etc. See brier, briery, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Eurasian rose with prickly stems and fragrant leaves and bright pink flowers followed by scarlet hips
- n. a pipe made from the root (briarroot) of the tree heath
- n. evergreen treelike Mediterranean shrub having fragrant white flowers in large terminal panicles and hard woody roots used to make tobacco pipes
- n. a very prickly woody vine of the eastern United States growing in tangled masses having tough round stems with shiny leathery leaves and small greenish flowers followed by clusters of inedible shiny black berries
The rosa multiflora--the rambling rose, what I call the briar rose, because it is clearly the killer rose that protected Sleeping Beauty's castle for a century--is sending its arms across the path in the undiscovered country.
Finaly Brad says (calm and cool) "She's lieing right there" (points to spot 10ft. from blood on road in briar thicket).
To me she seems pretty much below the radar, and seen to have been pushed into the background aka the briar patch.
In England they are called briar-root pipes, briar being a corruption of the French word _bruyère_, signifying heath.
Mixed with the blue of the smoke from his briar was the deeper azure of a spirited monologue in which Grayson was engaged.
Hips are preferred; at least, the fruit of the briar is the first of the two to disappear.
"Spam detection software, running on the system 'briar', has identified this incoming email as possible spam" if the email is spam.
Such an ethics thicket is exactly the kind of briar patch Republicans would love to be thrown into.
The 26 inch barrel would hang on every briar, limb, and vine in the woods and it balenced well forward of the action.
I had to track a doe into a blackberry briar hell after dark.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.