from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various evergreen trees or shrubs of the genus Juniperus, having needlelike or scalelike, often pointed leaves and aromatic, bluish-gray, berrylike, seed-bearing cones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any shrub or tree of the genus Juniperus of the cypress family; characterized by pointed, needle-like leaves and aromatic berry-like cones.
- n. certain coniferous trees which resemble junipers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any evergreen shrub or tree, of the genus Juniperus and order Coniferæ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. coniferous evergreen shrub or tree, belonging to the genus Juniperus.
- Bitter; sharp; severe.
- n. The American larch, Larix laricina.
- n. The black spruce, Picea Mariana.
- n. The ground-hemlock, Taxus Canadensis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. desert shrub of Syria and Arabia having small white flowers; constitutes the juniper of the Old Testament; sometimes placed in genus Genista
- n. coniferous shrub or small tree with berrylike cones
Middle English, from Latin iūniperus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin iūniperus ("juniper"). (Wiktionary)