from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who travels about selling wares for a living.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An itinerant seller of small goods; a hawker.
- n. A dealer in illegal drugs.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who peddles; a traveling trader; one who travels about, retailing small wares; a hawker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who travels about selling small wares, which he carries with him; a traveling chapman; a hawker.
- n. In entomology, the larva of any one of the tortoise-beetles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who travels about selling his wares (as on the streets or at carnivals)
- n. an unlicensed dealer in illegal drugs
Middle English pedlere, probably alteration of peddere, from Medieval Latin pedārius, crosier bearer, from Latin pēs, ped-, foot; see pedi-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)