from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
- n. Informal One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.
- n. Informal Clothing.
- n. Informal Personal belongings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device or machine that is useless because it does not work properly or has failed to work, such as a bomb, or explosive projectile.
- n. A lottery ticket that does not give a payout.
- n. Clothes, now always used in plural form duds.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coarse cloak or mantle.
- n. A rag.
- n. plural [Formerly also spelled dudes, as in Harman's “Caveat” (1567), where the word is erroneously set down as “pedlar's French”—that is, thieves' cant.] Clothes; especially, poor or ragged clothing; tatters: used in contempt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. failing to detonate; especially not charged with an active explosive
- n. someone who is unsuccessful
- n. an event that fails badly or is totally ineffectual
- n. an explosion that fails to occur
Middle English dudde, a cloak.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ultimately from dudde ("ragged clothing or cloth"), of uncertain origin beyond that. (Wiktionary)