from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or manifesting hope.
- adj. Inspiring hope; promising.
- n. A person who aspires to success or who shows promise of succeeding, especially as a political candidate: a group of presidential hopefuls.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Feeling hope.
- adj. Inspiring hope.
- n. Somebody who is hoping for success or victory.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Full of hope, or agreeable expectation; inclined to hope; expectant.
- adj. Having qualities which excite hope; affording promise of good or of success
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of hope; having desire with expectation of its fulfilment.
- Having qualities which excite hope; promising advantage or success: as, a hopeful prospect: often used ironically.
- Synonyms Confident, sanguine, buoyant, enthusiastic.
- n. A more or less wilful, troublesome, or incorrigible boy or girl, regarded ironically as the rising hope of the family.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or manifesting hope
- adj. full or promise
- n. an ambitious and aspiring young person
hope + -ful (Wiktionary)