from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that applies, as for a job.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who applies for something; one who makes request; a petitioner.
- n. The third coordinate (or z-coodinate) in a three dimensional coordinate system.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who apples for something; one who makes request; a petitioner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who applies; one who makes request; a petitioner; a candidate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who requests or seeks something such as assistance or employment or admission
Middle English, from Latin applicāns, present participle of applicāre, to affix; see apply.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin applicans, present participle of applicare. See apply. (Wiktionary)