from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that participates, shares, or takes part in something.
- adj. Sharing in or taking part; participating.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. one who participates
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Sharing; participating; having a share or part.
- n. A participator; a partaker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sharing; having a share or part: followed by of.
- n. One who participates; a partaker; one having a share or part.
- n. In Gregorian music, the next most important tone in a mode after the mediant, lying in the authentic modes usually next above or below the mediant, and in plagal modes usually at the bottom of the scale. See modulation, 3 .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who participates in or is skilled at some game
- n. someone who takes part in an activity
From the still, neither participant is an advertisement for blogging as a healthy lifestyle.
The other participant is my husband, novelist Gordon Aalborg.
That being said, I would add a question asking if the participant is currently in school and if so what level of education it is.
One of the videos posted on the site by a participant is this one added by Andrea Hernández on an ongoing series on the economy of people who sell stuff informally on the street.
In this way, the competitiveness (or potential "greed") of the participant is harnessed into providing a benefit in an ever-improving system, with lesser service providers being given their just punishment.
Depending on the situation, removing a participant from a wave will work in different ways.
The pictures are collaborations: Each participant is asked to provide her own makeup, hair and wardrobe.
As a noun its chief meaning is principal official, main participant or person of primary rank:
The former beauty queen and pageant participant is complaining about a "sexist" photo (one that she did pose for, doesn't matter for who)?
The unstated or underlying purpose of the modern spiritual sweat lodge is to free the participant from the fetters of the material world and return him or her to Omeyocan, the "Place of Duality," which is both dualistic and the single undifferentiated source of the present world.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.