American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of taking part or sharing in something: Teachers often encourage class participation.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or fact of participating or sharing in common with another or with others; the act or state of receiving or having part of something.
- n. Distribution; division into shares.
- n. Companionship.
- n. the act or process of participating
- n. the state of being related to a larger whole
- n. the process during which individuals, groups and organizations are consulted about or have the opportunity to become actively involved in a project or program of activity.
- n. An ownership interest or profit-sharing right.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or state of participating, or sharing in common with others.
- n. obsolete Distribution; division into shares.
- n. obsolete Community; fellowship; association.
- n. the act of sharing in the activities of a group
- n. the condition of sharing in common with others (as fellows or partners etc.)
“I will use the term participation unit to refer both to encounters and to unengaged participants; the term bystander will be used to refer to any individual present who is not a ratified member of the particular encounter in question, whether or not he is currently a member of some other encounter.”
“The term "participation rate" is used to describe how much of the increase or return of the underlying stock market index will be used to calculate the return.”
“Unfortunately the only way we could find out whether it actually will lead to a substantial increase in participation is to try it, and that means having a Worldcon committee prepared to take the risk (and face the wrath of conservative SMOFs).”
“There will be true meaning to the term participation, since all stakeholder's will have their (appropriate levels - weighted) say in all contexts.”
“There are no shortage of shrill voices who think his participation is a stain on the NFL.”
“Long-term participation is found to increase obesity for females and males.”
“The quality, not quantity, of your participation is the key to a superior class participation grade.”
“A second condition we have placed on our participation is the willingness of other countries to move towards a greater liberalization of trade than might otherwise result from the negotiations in certain selected resource-based sectors.”
“We are fortunate that overseeing our participation is a man whose actions were once described by his parliamentary secretary, as quoted in The Globe and Mail, as follows: If MacEachen gets up to speak, then the government must be in trouble.”
“You are welcome to my board any time and your participation is appreciated.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘participation’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
Use these and get promoted
infallibility, inerrancy, communicable attr..., incommunicable at..., fortuitous incarn..., atonement, hypostatic union, mystical union, spirit-baptism, sanctification, indwelling, fruits of the Hol... and 90 more...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
executive agency, societal engagement, reference point, service contract, synergy, focussing, local authority, mutual understanding, sustainability, participation, initiative, dimension and 60 more...
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Simple useful basic business words
all things learning design
Looking for tweets for participation.