American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or quality of being independent.
- n. Archaic Sufficient income for comfortable self-support; a competence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being independent; exemption from dependence upon another or others, or from another's control; self-support or self-government.
- n. That which renders one independent; property or income sufficient to make one independent of others; a competency.
- n. In botany, the abnormal separation of organs or parts which are usually united.
- n. The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by others; self-subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference.
- n. The state of having sufficient means for a comfortable livelihood.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by, others; self-subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference.
- n. Sufficient means for a comfortable livelihood.
- n. freedom from control or influence of another or others
- n. the successful ending of the American Revolution
- n. a city in western Missouri; the beginning of the Santa Fe Trail
“The use of the term independence has been a bone of contention in Plaid Cymru for decades.”
“To gain independence is not easy as it seems, we have to sacrifice and fight till end.”
“Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British?”
“If we DO have another vessel, than the idea of keeping the Shuttle to maintain independence is even more preposterous since we can do that without it.”
“His predecessor, Sukarno, had helped Indonesia win independence from the Dutch and was trying to balance the right with the left in Indonesian politics.”
“A second association involves attempts by the caliphate to gain independence from the Seljuks.”
“Corsica was attempting to win independence from the Italian state of Genoa.”
“Freeway was asked how, between his label independence and the Internet age, his fan relationships have changed.”
“Some ethnic groups may use the word "independence" in their organization's name.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘independence’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
constitutional de..., constitutional tr..., social market eco..., cultural diversity, democracy, diversity of cult..., diversity of trad..., equality, equality between ..., free movement of ..., free movement of ..., free movement of ... and 34 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
In coaching or psychology work, it is often postulated that people have a personal list of abstract, subjectively defined, emotional concepts that drive them (often called 'values') to answer the b...
This is a list of search words, websites, and programs that are or have been censored/banned on the internet in China
Looking for tweets for independence.