from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of helping or improving oneself without assistance from others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the practice of bettering oneself without relying on the assistance of others.
- n. an act of redressing or preventing a wrong by one's own actions rather than through legal proceedings
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of aiding one's self, without depending on the aid of others.
- n. The right or fact of redressing or preventing wrongs by one's own action without recourse to legal proceedings, as in self-defense, distress, abatement of a nuisance, etc.
- n. developing one's capabilities or solving one's own problems, especially psychological problems, without the assistance of a professional, by independent study or by association with other individuals having similar interests.
- adj. of, pertaining to, or useful for the process of developing one's capabilities or solving one's problems.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Working for one's self without assistance from others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of helping or improving yourself without relying on anyone else
Sorry, no etymologies found.