American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Due respect for oneself, one's character, and one's conduct.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Respect for one's self or for one's own character; a proper regard for and care of one's own person and character; the feeling that only very good actions are worthy of the standard which one has generally maintained, and up to which one has acted.
- n. The knowledge of one's own worth, valuing one's self; pride.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Respect for one's self; regard for one's character; laudable self-esteem.
- n. the quality of being worthy of esteem or respect
- self- + respect (Wiktionary)
“He means that, for the real Stoic, _self-respect is the necessary consequence of his intellectual conception of his place in the universe_, and that self-respect must as inevitably result in virtue.”
“In Dalit politics by the late 1920s, the idea of "self-respect" had displaced an earlier practice of seeking recognition from what were viewed as disdainful, bigoted and arrogant upper castes.”
“Doomed to live for the physical indulgences of others, unused to any pleasures but those of sense, stripped of self-respect, and having nothing to gain in life, how can he be expected to govern himself?”
“There was a discussion earlier about another word that I hear used all the time among my Mexican friends, and the couple assured me and everyone else that I must be mistaken because it is "ALWAYS" derogatory, context be damned, and that I have no self-respect if I subject myself to its use.”
“Galinsky's research found that individual differences in prenatal testosterone predict the degree to which someone will defend their personal interest when their self-respect is threatened during the negotiation process.”
“Strand was 26 years younger than Stieglitz, 11 years younger than Steichen, and thus did not have to refight battles for artistic self-respect they had already won.”
“They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.”
“He told me that boxing saved him: "It gave me self-discipline and a sense of self-respect.”
““I will be happy, Mother, but on my own terms, with self-respect,” I insisted.”
“And then she would hug me and say, You will have enough self-respect for both of us, Olivia.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘self-respect’.
list of self-s
self-discovery, self-awareness, self-actualization, self-respect, self-esteem, self-understanding, self-portrait, self-centered, self-righteousness, self-worth, self-reference, self-exam and 34 more...
less or more (dull sharp)
Looking for tweets for self-respect.