from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being sane; soundness of mind.
- n. Soundness of judgment or reason.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being sane.
- n. Reasonable and rational behaviour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition or quality of being sane; soundness of health of body or mind, especially of the mind; saneness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being sane; soundness of mind; saneness. See insanity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. normal or sound powers of mind
Middle English sanite, health, from Old French, from Latin sānitās, from sānus, healthy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin sānitas, from sānus ("healthy") + -itās ("-ity"). See sane, -ity (Wiktionary)