American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being sane; soundness of mind.
- n. Soundness of judgment or reason.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being sane; soundness of mind; saneness. See insanity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The condition or quality of being sane; soundness of health of body or mind, especially of the mind; saneness.
- n. normal or sound powers of mind
- Latin sānitas, from sānus ("healthy") + -itās ("-ity"). See sane, -ity (Wiktionary)
- Middle English sanite, health, from Old French, from Latin sānitās, from sānus, healthy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Maybe it seems silly, but if your life or your sanity is at risk, it's not a bad idea.”
“Now when he was misusing his authority to browbeat me into what he termed sanity, I found comfort in recalling that after all he had once in a moment of forgetfulness confessed to having a home at Mentone Park, with a wife and four daughters of whose accomplishments he spoke almost with boasting.”
“And that unknown means Owen is facing her new pregnancy with as much fear as joy, repeating what she calls sanity sonograms for reassurance that this baby's still fine.”
“It may be rude, but fuck it, my sanity is at stake.”
“It looked like the builders had struggled to maintain sanity, or that the backlash had pushed at them harder in some spots than in others.”
“Maybe focusing on long term fiscal sanity is a better idea than going bonkers with debt financed Keynesian “stimulus” that is nothing but relabeled Reagan supply side bullshit.”
“And then little Howard enters the hideous cave and encounters the blasphemous monstrosity of unspeakable horror where his sanity is destroyed and his insignificant place among the cosmos is finally revealed -- but you don't have to take my word for it!”
“Nothing less than survival, or sanity, is usually at stake.”
“Are partisan pundits, tea partiers, leftist activists, members of the House, and architects of GOP politics all equally lacking in sanity?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sanity’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
Words that emcompass large concepts
Italian-English false friends.
One a day, maybe even less.
Contributors: Prolagus, bilby
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
By Don McLean
Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul
Shadows on the hills<...
Wonderful words featured in some of my favourite quotable quotes.
Words meaning health or good health
Looking for tweets for sanity.