from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Gravity in bearing, manner, or treatment.
- n. Moderation in or abstinence from consumption of alcoholic liquor or use of drugs: "three years of drug-free sobriety” ( Ron Rosenbaum). See Synonyms at abstinence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being sober.
- n. The quality or state of not being intoxicated.
- n. The quality or state of being grave or earnestly thoughtful.
- n. The state or quality of being unhurried; a state of calm.
- n. A state of moderation or seriousness.
- n. A state of modest in color or style.
- n. Soundness of judgement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Habitual soberness or temperance as to the use of spirituous liquors.
- n. Habitual freedom from enthusiasm, inordinate passion, or overheated imagination; calmness; coolness; gravity; seriousness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state, habit, or character of being sober.
- n. Moderation in general conduct or character; avoidance of excess or extremes.
- n. Reasonableness; saneness; soundness: as, sobriety of judgment.
- n. Modest or quiet demeanor; composure; sedateness; dignity; gravity; staidness.
- n. Synonyms and Abstinence, Temperance, etc. See abstemiousness.
- n. and Soberness, moderation, moderateness, regularity, steadiness, quietness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a manner that is serious and solemn
- n. the state of being sober and not intoxicated by alcohol
- n. moderation in or abstinence from alcohol or other drugs
- n. abstaining from excess
"It's common for someone who had long-term sobriety, and then a relapse, to decide traditional rehab is not for them."
House in pain, having to wrestle with sobriety is going to be a priceless ass.
By the way, no, I havent stayed sober that long, but my failure to achieve long-term sobriety is just thatmy failurenot the failure of the program.
This prepares our clients for long-term sobriety, allowing our program to excel where others fail.
The public conduct of my fellow atheists was so lacking in sobriety and gravity that I began to wonder why, if we atheists had a hammerlock on truth, so much of what we said was pointless or naive.
My two cents on the statement about the "public conduct of my fellow atheists was so lacking in sobriety and gravity"
Arrangements like these can be very helpful in maintaining long-term sobriety, as losing custody of a child is often the “bottom” that motivates addicted parents to finally seek treatment.
How can we support her in her recovery to help her have long-term sobriety and get through to this on the other side, because once she does get through this -- and she ` s going to have to get through this or she ` s going to end up dying.
He told me that meant that he had become a Mission resident who was on a path to long-term sobriety and reintegration into society.
But it is a word of comfort (v. 15) that those who continue in sobriety shall be saved in child-bearing, or with child-bearing -- the Messiah, who was born of a woman, should break the serpent's head (Gen.iii. 15); or the sentence which they are under for sin shall be no bar to their acceptance with Christ, if they continue in faith, and charity, and holiness, with sobriety.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.