from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Self-restraint; moderation.
- n. Voluntary control over urinary and fecal discharge.
- n. Partial or complete abstention from sexual activity. See Synonyms at abstinence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The voluntary control of urination and defecation.
- n. Moderation or self-restraint, especially in sexual activity; abstinence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Self-restraint; self-command.
- n. The restraint which a person imposes upon his desires and passions; the act or power of refraining from indulgence of the sexual appetite, esp. from unlawful indulgence; sometimes, moderation in sexual indulgence.
- n. Uninterrupted course; continuity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In general, self-restraint with regard to desires and passions; self-command.
- n. In a special sense, the restraint of the sexual passion within due bounds, whether absolute, as in celibacy, or within lawful limits, as in marriage; chastity.
- n. Capacity for holding or containing: as, a measure which has only one half the continence of another. Continuity; uninterrupted course.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. voluntary control over urinary and fecal discharge
- n. the exercise of self constraint in sexual matters
Dated from the 14th Century CE; from Old French continence, from Latin continentia ("a repression"). (Wiktionary)