from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of confining or the state of being confined.
- n. Lying-in.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the act of confining or the state of being confined
- n. lying-in
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Restraint within limits; imprisonment; any restraint of liberty; seclusion.
- n. Restraint within doors by sickness, esp. that caused by childbirth; lying-in.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being confined; restraint within limits; any restraint of liberty by force or other obstacle or necessity; hence, imprisonment.
- n. Restraint from going abroad by sickness, specifically by childbirth; the lying-in of a woman: as, her approaching confinement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of keeping something within specified bounds (by force if necessary)
- n. concluding state of pregnancy; from the onset of contractions to the birth of a child
- n. the act of restraining of a person's liberty by confining them
- n. the state of being confined
confine + -ment (Wiktionary)