from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or quality of being moderate; avoidance of extremes
- n. An instance of moderating: bringing something away from extremes, especially in a beneficial way
- n. The process of moderating a discussion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of moderating, or of imposing due restraint.
- n. The state or quality of being mmoderate.
- n. Calmness of mind; equanimity.
- n. The first public examinations for degrees at the University of Oxford; -- usually contracted to mods.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of moderating or restraining; the process of tempering, lessening, or mitigating.
- n. The state or quality of being moderate or keeping a due mean between opposite extremes; freedom from excess; temperance; due restraint.
- n. Habitual slowness of thought, speech, or action; great deliberation.
- n. The act of presiding over, regulating, or directing as a moderator.
- n. plural In the University of Oxford, England, the first public examination for degrees.
- n. Synonyms Forbearance, equanimity, sobriety, self-restraint, mildness, composure, calmness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. quality of being moderate and avoiding extremes
- n. a change for the better
- n. the action of lessening in severity or intensity
- n. the trait of avoiding excesses
Sorry, no etymologies found.