from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or quality of being moderate; avoidance of extremes
- n. An instance of moderating: bringing something away from extremes, especially in a beneficial way
- n. The process of moderating a discussion
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of moderating, or of imposing due restraint.
- n. The state or quality of being mmoderate.
- n. Calmness of mind; equanimity.
- n. The first public examinations for degrees at the University of Oxford; -- usually contracted to mods.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of moderating or restraining; the process of tempering, lessening, or mitigating.
- n. The state or quality of being moderate or keeping a due mean between opposite extremes; freedom from excess; temperance; due restraint.
- n. Habitual slowness of thought, speech, or action; great deliberation.
- n. The act of presiding over, regulating, or directing as a moderator.
- n. plural In the University of Oxford, England, the first public examination for degrees.
- n. Synonyms Forbearance, equanimity, sobriety, self-restraint, mildness, composure, calmness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. quality of being moderate and avoiding extremes
- n. a change for the better
- n. the action of lessening in severity or intensity
- n. the trait of avoiding excesses
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At cdc. goc, "drinking in moderation is defined as having no more than one drink per day for women and no more than two drinks per day for men."
Actually, beer in moderation, is good for you. lapidus
It's not ideal to eliminate a whole class of food, as I had with bread; learning to enjoy all foods in moderation is key.
Mann herself says “Eating in moderation is a good idea for everybody”.
Not too skinny, not too fat, but something in moderation is the best approach for both hardware/software & workforce, imho .......
I'm with you on your feelings about "lite" stuffs -- best quality in moderation is always better than diet stuff.
Later on, I read a study that suggested the opposite, that eating peanuts in moderation is actually good because exposure in utero is actually good for preventing peanut allergies.
No matter how it's phrased that beer drinking in moderation is a pleasant activity that is associated with moderation in other forms of activity, beer contains alcohol and it it consumed primarily to feel the effects of that alcohol.
Generally the term moderation is used to mean restraint for restraint's sake.
I heard on R4 tonight (news quiz) that drinking alcohol in moderation is being taught in schools and counts for half a GCSE.