from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being firm; strength; permanence; stability; hardness; resolution.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being firm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being firm; compactness; hardness; solidity; stability; strength; steadfastness; resoluteness; constancy; fixedness; certainty: as, the firmness of jelly; firmness of flesh; firmness of union; the firmness of a purpose; the firmness of a judge.
- n. In phrenology, an organ situated toward the back part of the head, between self-esteem and veneration. Its function is said to be to produce determination, constancy, and perseverance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being steady or securely and immovably fixed in place
- n. the property of being unyielding to the touch
- n. the muscle tone of healthy tissue
- n. the trait of being resolute
From firm + -ness (Wiktionary)