Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A moderate degree of cold; a temperature between cold and heat: as, the coolness of the summer's evening.
- n. A moderate or refreshing sensation of cold.
- n. Absence of mental confusion or excitement; clearness of judgment and calmness of action, particularly in an emergency: as, the safety of the party depended on his coolness.
- n. Absence of ardor or intensity; want of passion, zeal, cordiality, or affection; indifference.
- n. Quiet and unabashed impudence; nonchalance; effrontery; presumption.
- n. uncountable The state of being cool, as in chilly.
- n. countable The result or product of being cool, as in chilly.
- n. slang, uncountable The state of being cool, as in good or pleasing.
- n. slang, countable The result or product of being cool, as in good or pleasing.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being cool; a moderate degree of cold; a moderate degree, or a want, of passion; want of ardor, zeal, or affection; calmness.
- n. colloq. Calm impudence; self-possession.
- n. a lack of affection or enthusiasm
- n. calm and unruffled self-assurance
- n. fearless self-possession in the face of danger
- n. the property of being moderately cold
- From cool + -ness. (Wiktionary)
“The price you pay for the coolness is the stress of trying to fund it.”
“The story, as he told it, magnified what he called my coolness and common-sense to a ridiculous extent.”
“I remember an incident of his whist-life sufficiently amusing in its way, though, in relation, the reader loses what to myself is certainly the whole pungency of the story: I mean the character and nature of the person who imparted the anecdote to me, and who is about the most perfect specimen of that self-possession, which we call coolness, the age we live in can boast of.”
“Grrr. But then the coolness is that different familiars get different spells they can teach.”
“Cool, because coolness is how viral marketing works.”
“To this very day, coolness is one of the main appeals of the genre for me.”
“The apex of its coolness is that you (yes, you) can become a bush robot yourself.”
“That was the main coolness with that particular game.”
“So much coolness is coming into my mailbox shortly.”
“But strangeness, or coolness, is all about context: there should be an eye there, not a laser! pupils are black! yours shouldn't be reflecting like a cat's! you're Asian-y, your eyes shouldn't be blue!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘coolness’.
Words from the book by Jane Austen.
Looking for tweets for coolness.