from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being earnest; sincerity; seriousness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being earnest; intentness; anxiety.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Intentness or zeal in the pursuit of anything; eagerness; strong or eager desire; energetic striving: as, to seek or ask with earnestness; to engage in a work with earnestness.
- n. Anxious care; solicitude; strength of feeling; seriousness: as, a man of great earnestness; the charge was maintained with much earnestness.
- n. Synonyms 1. Zeal, Enthusiasm, etc. See eagerness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the trait of being serious
- n. an earnest and sincere feeling
earnest + -ness (Wiktionary)