from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or practice of being advertent; heedfulness.
- n. The action of being attentive; attention or consideration.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being advertent; heedfulness; regard; consideration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The act of adverting, of the quality of being advertent; attention; notice; regard; heedfulness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A turning or directing of the mind; attention; notice; consideration; heed; reference.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of being heedful
Middle English, from Old French advertance, from Medieval Latin advertentia, from Latin advertēns, advertent-, present participle of advertere, to turn toward; see adverse.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)