from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An intense concentration, force or power.
- n. A wild or turbulent ferocity or fury.
- n. Eagerness, fervor, excessive strong feeling.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being vehement; impetuous force; impetuosity; violence; fury.
- n. Violent ardor; great heat; animated fervor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or state of being vehement; the energy exhibited by one who or that which is vehement.
- n. Force or impetuosity accompanying energetic action of any kind; impetuous force; impetuosity; boisterousness; violence; fury: as, the vehemence of wind; to speak with vehemence.
- n. Synonyms Force, might, intensity, passion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. intensity or forcefulness of expression
- n. the property of being wild or turbulent
From Old French, from Latin vehementia ("eagerness, strength"), from vehemens ("eager"). (Wiktionary)