Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or property of being rough, in any sense of that word; physical, mental, or moral want of smoothness or equability; asperity, coarseness, harshness, rudeness, etc.
- n. Fodder for animals, consisting of dried cornstalks cut into short pieces.
- n. Synonyms See rough.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being rough.
- n. a texture of a surface or edge that is not smooth but is irregular and uneven
- n. harsh or severe speech or behavior
- n. the formation of small pits in a surface as a consequence of corrosion
- n. the quality of being unpleasant (harsh or rough or grating) to the senses
- n. rowdy behavior
- n. used of the sea during inclement or stormy weather
- n. an unpolished unrefined quality
- rough + -ness (Wiktionary)
“Not just on acting ability, but all of them have a certain roughness to their appearance which Ledger just doesn't have.”
“The chaos and irregularity of the world - Mandelbrot referred to it as "roughness" - is something to be celebrated.”
“The Android team's mandate to continuously iterate is admirable, but according to Lockheimer, it accounts for some of Android's so-called roughness.”
“It was the other kind of roughness in which resided no warm affection, no heart-touch of love.”
“But balls need a certain "roughness" to maintain balanced flight, so Mr. N rnberg's team added the texturing so it wouldn't wobble like a beach ball.”
“Crowley: It is the kind of roughness that made her a household name, but in the end it may also make Sarah Palin a player who helps shape the party, not a player who leads it.”
“Mr. BEN RATLIFF (Music Critic, The New York Times): The first time you hear Ornette, there's this kind of roughness and chaos in it.”
“There was something odd about the transit, a kind of roughness, perhaps a heartbeat longer of disorientation, but Denoriel accepted that as a difference in the kind of magic Treowth and Gilfaethwy used.”
“It was a different kind of roughness; Flinx thought it very becoming.”
“When I began to see any kind of roughness I just sent both the boys downstairs (it was in a big hall upstairs).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘roughness’.
Looking for tweets for roughness.