from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The tendency to oversimplify an issue or a problem by ignoring complexities or complications.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The trait of oversimplifying things by ignoring complexity and complications.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The advocacy or cultivation of simplieity; hence, an affected or labored simplicity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an act of excessive simplification; the act of making something seem simpler than it really is
- n. a simplification that goes too far (to the point of misrepresentation)
French simplisme, from simple, simple, from Old French; see simple.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
simple + -ism. (Wiktionary)