from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being obscene.
- n. Indecency, lewdness, or offensiveness in behavior, expression, or appearance.
- n. Something, such as a word, act, or expression, that is indecent or lewd.
- n. Something that is offensive or repulsive to the senses: "What had once been a gentle hill covered with lush grass turned into a brown obscenity of bare earth and smoke” ( Tom Clancy).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that is obscene.
- n. An act of obscene behaviour.
- n. Specifically, an offensive word; a profanity; a dirty word.
- n. The qualities that make something obscene; lewdness, indecency, or offensive behaviour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That quality in words or things which presents what is offensive to chastity or purity of mind; obscene or impure lanquage or acts; moral impurity; lewdness; obsceneness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being obscene; impurity or indecency in action, expression, or representation: licentiousness; lewdness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the trait of behaving in an obscene manner
- n. an offensive or indecent word or phrase
- n. an obscene act
Sorry, no etymologies found.