American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or quality of being unseemly or immodest.
- n. Something indecent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality or condition of being indecent; want of decency; unbecomingness; especially, extreme vulgarity or obscenity of speech, action, or representation; immorality.
- n. That which is indecent or unbecoming; language, or behavior, or pictorial representation, etc., that violates modesty or decorum; specifically, that which is obscene or grossly vulgar.
- n. lack of decency; the property or degree of being indecent
- n. something showing lack of decency; something such as a word that is indecent
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being indecent; lack of decency, modesty, or good manners; obscenity.
- n. That which is indecent; an indecent word or act; an offense against delicacy.
- n. the quality of being indecent
- n. an indecent or improper act
“Since the company renovated its premises in the centre of Jerusalem, installing picture windows that let passers-by see the rehearsals, ultra-orthodox Jews in the locality have waged a campaign against what they call the "indecency" of the women dancers.”
“How far is the government going in its crackdown on what it calls indecency?”
“COOPER: The government's crackdown on what it calls indecency has created a lot of buzz among our viewers.”
“crusade" against content, including "unmooring" the term indecency from its original meaning of "language that described or depicted sexual or excretory activities.”
“And the FCC's indecency policy is virtually identical to the definition of indecency the court struck down as unconstitutionally vague in 1997 with respect to Internet content.”
“Instead of ordering all 169 stations that aired it to pay the larger fine, the FCC ordered 13 Fox-owned and - affiliated stations to pay a total of $91,000 in indecency fines for broadcasting an episode of the long-canceled reality show "Married by America" nearly five years ago.”
“Things changed for the network censors last week after the Federal Communications Commission proposed $4 million in indecency fines against television stations -- the bulk of them to a group of CBS affiliates, for airing an episode of '' Without a Trace that featured a teen orgy.”
“Arabic word, however low it may be or “shocking” to ears polite; preserving, on the other hand, all possible delicacy where the indecency is not intentional; and, as a friend advises me to state, not exaggerating the vulgarities and the indecencies which, indeed, can hardly be exaggerated.”
“The outcry over indecency is a big lie « BuzzMachine”
“Using strict scrutiny, the Court could uphold the indecency restriction only by continuing to accept, despite the lack of evidence, that indecency is harmful to harmful.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘indecency’.
This list collects the magnificent collection of vocabulary of the article "What the F***? Why We Curse," by Steven Pinker, in The New Republic (Oct. 2007). I think I'm more impressed with the coll...
Looking for tweets for indecency.