from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Lack of honesty or integrity; improbity.
- n. A dishonest act or statement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The characteristic or condition of being dishonest.
- n. An act which is fraudulent or otherwise dishonest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Dishonor; dishonorableness; shame.
- n. Want of honesty, probity, or integrity in principle; want of fairness and straightforwardness; a disposition to defraud, deceive, or betray; faithlessness.
- n. Violation of trust or of justice; fraud; any deviation from probity; a dishonest act.
- n. Lewdness; unchastity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being dishonest; lack of honesty; want of probity or integrity; a disposition to cheat or defraud, or to deceive and betray.
- n. Violation of trust or of justice; fraud; treachery; any deviation from probity or integrity.
- n. Unchastity; lewdness.
- n. Synonyms Knavishness, deceitfulness, perfidiousness, unscrupulousness, unfairness, slipperiness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being dishonest
- n. lack of honesty; acts of lying or cheating or stealing
In addition to this complicity with fraud and wrong on the part of the public, there are many ways in which * dishonesty engenders*, almost necessitates * dishonesty*.
Maybe, his dishonesty is the reason for this, if he did not go writing articles all the time about how he may want to be the leader, people may feel what he says is more candid than it appears.
This dishonesty is the main reason it is not possible to have a serious, reasoned discussion on any topic that touches, even tangentially, on race.
That might have been my only edge, come to think of it - part of what you refer to as the dishonesty of fighters.
Doctor Jim could not tolerate what he called dishonesty, and from time to time they would have words and Frank would be gone for months.
In cases involving dishonesty which go before a Jury, the Trial Judge always directs them that 'dishonesty' is a matter entirely for the Jury to decide upon, on the entirely reasonable basis that any Juror will be able to recognise dishonesty when he or she encounters it and needs no further instruction from a professional lawyer on the point.
Otherwise, we know a little dishonesty is on display.
My perspective is that Nazi propagandists (or any other propagandist whose works shields or justifies wrongdoing for political ends) peddle in dishonesty and are scum - no matter how artfully they do it.
January 29th, 2010 at 1: 52 pm fixbone says: the repubs intellectual dishonesty is mind boggling
Such dishonesty is par for the course for news organizations like them.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.